Saturday, September 15, 2007

Running Out of Gas

As frequently as W misses her flights, I run out of gas on my car. Today marks the third time I've ran out of gas, completely, on the road. The first time this happened, I was in high school. I didn't have a cellphone; no one "normal" did. Thank goodness my friend P was with me so he ran and got gas from a nearby gas station. When he got back the car still didn't start up. A trucker had to show us how to prime the engine to get it going again... The second time I ran out of gas I was on the freeway. I pulled to the side and AAA rescued me. I ran out of gas again today. I tried to get M to get gas for me, but it turns out it was just way cheaper to get AAA to do it. At the gas station, they were selling the portable gas storage unit for $16. M was like, um, no.

Here are some tips if you plan to run out of gas:
  • Carry a cellphone so you can call AAA.
  • Leave $5 in the car. That's what it costs when the AAA person gives you gas. I didn't have change once, and had to give the guy $10. :(
  • Leave a book in the car, so you can read while waiting for AAA. I read Harry Potter today - not too shabby.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, while I don't plan *to* run out of gas, thanks for the tips on how to plan for such an emergency =P