Friday, March 26, 2010

linux street cred

My new work laptop runs Linux. I've had a Linux desktop at work for years now, but this the first I'm running linux at home.

When I'm home, I defer to M for networking "stuff." He had set up our home router, wireless network, and is the one on the phone with the ISP when things break.

This is a conversation between us the first night I was home with the linux laptop:

C: I set up wireless on my laptop. (padding myself on the back.) Now I've earned some Linux street cred.
M: Did you have to hand-edit a config file?
C: no...
M: No street cred for you!
C: (rolling my eyes...)

Since then, I've been trying to get my laptop to talk to the home printer. After approximately 3 hours of research. I finally got it to work tonight. Yay!

C: I got wireless printing to work!
M: What was the problem?
C: I had to hand-edit /etc/group.
M: (shaking my hand) Congratulations. Now you've joined the linux club.

And to sum it all up:

No comments: