Friday, December 21, 2007

Nostalgia

After dinner M and I usually work on our laptops and watch TV in the background. Exciting, I know. Since the Hollywood writers went on strike, our night time activities have hit a new low. The other night, we worked while watching Duel, a game show where contestants answer trivia questions.

I forgot the exact question, but a part of one question required you to know the number of schools in the Ivy League. I immediately said 13, and so did M. But we were both wrong. Shame on M. He even went to an Ivy League.

So I looked up Ivy League, and there are only 8. Wikipedia had a list of school mottos which is pretty interesting. Outside of the famous Harvard "Veritas." I didn't recognize any other. I thought Dartmouth's "A voice crying in the wilderness" is kind of silly. Why? Why is the voice crying?

That led me to look up my alma mater on wikipedia. Ha! We have a motto too: "The wind of freedom blows." Who knew! I don't get it, though. What does the wind of freedom have to do with the school? It's not like the school is in the South. Or the North, for that matter.

The tradition section of the article made me all warm and fuzzy inside. I was surprised to find this listed as a tradition: "Birthdays: Boys get thrown in the shower at midnight." I turned around to M: "Doesn't everybody do that in college?" M: "Um, no. You guys are weird."

My favorite tradition would have to be the Graduate at Sunday Flicks. Seniors come in their caps and gowns and everybody cheers and groans through the movie. Coming out of the theater, we were greeted by the Stanford Marching Band, which is hands down the best university marching band in the entire world. They're lively, totally outrageous, creative, and the music is awesome. I get emotional hearing them play the fight song.

Oh memoroies...

No comments: