Friday, March 23, 2007

Boshiamy

I don't know how to type in Chinese. Normally it's not a problem - I don't write to anyone in Chinese anyway. But every once in a while Chinese input comes in handy, like when people want to know Mark's Chinese name, or if I want to refer to my third-granduncle-twice-removed or whatever who doesn't have an English name.

So when I was having lunch with some engineers from Taiwan today, I asked them what Chinese input method they use. One person said he uses Boshiamy, and almost everyone concurred it's the fastest Chinese input method. As we talked more about it, it became clear to me this input method is totally designed for me! Chinese radicals are mapped into the 26 English letters, so the keyboard stays exactly the same as an English keyboard. The input method is based on the shape or the sound of the word. My favorite is the (very common) radical "車." It means "car" in Chinese, and therefore the letter "C" is assigned to it. The same goes for "木", which means "tree" - the letter "T" is assigned to it.

I looked up Boshiamy on wikipedia. It tickles me that the word is mapped to "O A O". Get it? It's an O on the left, an "A" on the top right, then an "O" on the bottom right. That's hilarious.

Someone at lunch also said that because the inventor of the system leveraged mnemonic so much, you'll be able to type 70% of the words in common usage once you finish reading the manual. Too bad it's proprietary. I'll have to get my hands on that software sometime.

4 comments:

亞瑟風 said...

Hi...

我們幾個同學常常在唸著呂悅純不見了,
我上週六還去你家以前教會試著找妳的訊息,
結果沒人知道.

沒想到隨便在網路上打妳的中文名字,
竟然就這樣找到妳了!!!!
而且,妳結婚了!!!

現在在上班,
不方便看妳Blog,
只想跟妳問聲好,
並恭喜妳!

改天有空聊聊吧

我mail: mointit@yahoo.com.tw
也是MSN

Bye

亞瑟風 said...

Forgot to tell you. You can type in English, I can understand

Tony Liuy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dominica said...

悅純
我是怡珊
很想妳 看到留言請回我喔dominicajts@hotmail.com